What Is 'The Death Highway'?
- Nickname result of the road’s catastrophic fatal crash rate
- Road construction poorly funded and not enough police officers
- Route 285 running through West Texas to Carlsbad, New Mexico
- Phenomenon caused by inexperienced and speeding drivers of large oil trucks
- Large oil trucks damage roads and worsen potholes, requiring upkeep
Permian Basin Statistics
Deaths are tied to oil price. Fatality rates dropped in 2015 along with oil prices.
Over 5,000 accidents have been reported in 2018 as oil demand rose.
In 2017, there were 93 deaths on or near the Texas-side of the Death Highway
Texas Department of Transportation estimates $1.1 billion in damages and needed repairs for highway.
Thousands of drivers drive on the road every day.