Houston Bicycle Accident Lawyer
When a car hits a person on a bicycle, it can be a terrifying experience that leaves the bicyclist with serious and potentially fatal injuries. If a motorist’s negligence caused the collision, the bicyclist has the right to demand compensation for the harm that he or she has suffered.
Insurance companies are often hostile toward bicycle accident claims. They often try to blame the crash on the bicyclist. This is one of the many reasons why it is crucial for an injured bicyclist to get help from an experienced bicycle accident attorney as soon as possible after a crash.
Contact Our Houston Bicycle Accident Lawyers
The Houston personal injury lawyers of Tate Law Offices, P.C., are committed to protecting the rights of bicyclists in Houston, Fort Worth, Dallas and throughout Texas. We are ready to go to work for you right away.
Call your local office or reach us online today to speak with an experienced Houston bicycle accident lawyer.
You will get a Free Case Evaluation. And there’s never any fees unless we win your settlement.
What Should You Do After a Houston Bike Accident?
Tate Law Offices, P.C., can provide you with a free consultation. We can use this consultation to learn more about your case and answer any questions you may have about your legal rights and options. As you prepare to meet with us, you should do the following:
- See a doctor – If you have not gone to the emergency room yet or seen your primary care doctor, do so without delay. In some cases, you may think your bicycle crash left you with only minor cuts, aches and pains. However, those could be signs of major injuries such as brain injury, soft tissue damage or internal organ injury. The sooner you get medical attention, the better – for your health and your case.
- Gather and keep everything – Do not throw away or repair your bicycle, helmet or any gear you were wearing on the day of the crash. Keep any photos you may have taken of the crash scene and/or your injuries. Hold on to the names and contact information of any eyewitnesses. Additionally, keep all medical records, bills or insurance company letters related to your case.
- Police Report – If you have a copy of the police report regarding your accident we would like to review it. You can contact the local law enforcement agency that prepared the crash report or go to the Texas Department of Transportation’s online purchase site. This report can play an important role in the investigation of your case. If you do not have a copy of the report we will be glad to obtain the report for you.
- Do not give a recorded statement or accept a settlement offer – If you must report your bicycle accident to your own insurance company, then do so within the required time period – however, we prefer you speak with us before you do so. You do not have to speak with any other party’s insurer. In fact, anything you say could and most likely will be used against you. Never give a recorded statement to an insurer or accept a settlement offer from the insurer unless you have talked with an attorney first.
- Call a lawyer – Most importantly, contact Tate Law Offices, P.C. Our consultation is free and we probably have some good ideas on how your case should be handled. We can deal with the insurance companies for you and make sure your rights are protected. We can also get to work immediately on investigating your bicycle accident case and pursue the compensation you deserve.
How Can a Lawyer Investigate Your Bicycle Accident in Houston, TX?
When Tate Law Offices, P.C., takes on your case, we will work hard to determine why your bicycle accident occurred and who should be held responsible for your physical, mental and financial harm.
As we have seen, bicycle accidents often are caused by the careless or reckless conduct of motorists. Although more people are using bikes today to get to school or work as well as for recreation, too many motorists in Houston and other areas of Texas fail to respect bicyclists’ rights and safety or just plain don’t see the bicycle rider.
Causes of Bicycle Accidents in Houston
Car-bicycle collisions frequently are caused by:
- Dangerous passing – A motorist may fail to leave a safe amount of space between the vehicle and bicycle. In turn, the vehicle may hit the bicyclist or run him or her off the road. In some cases, a motorist may intentionally “buzz” a bicyclist.
- Left cross – When the motorist and bicyclist are approaching an intersection, the motorist may fail to yield the right of way and turn left into the bicyclist’s path.
- Right hook – A motorist may make a right turn or lane change into the path of a bicyclist who is going in the same direction. The accident may be traced to the motorist’s failure to use a turn signal or to check mirrors and blind spots before turning.
- Dooring – All too often, bicyclists are harmed by motorists who open the door of their parked vehicles into the bicyclists’ path.
- Backup – Motorists frequently back their cars out of their home driveway and across the sidewalk or street area where a bicyclist was riding. They also tend to back out of commercial parking spaces into the bicyclist’s path.
Ultimately, the underlying cause of the car accident may be the fact that the motorist was speeding, driving while distracted, overly fatigued, not paying attention to blind spots, or impaired by alcohol or drugs.
Our investigative team at Tate Law Offices, P.C., can study the police report, photos, witness statements, surveillance camera footage, cell phone records and physical evidence at the crash scene to determine the cause of your crash. We can also consult with accident reconstruction experts to determine why your accident occurred.
Compensation After a Bicycle Accident in Houston
A bicycle accident can result in devastating injuries – regardless of whether the bicyclist wore protective gear such as a helmet. These injuries can include cuts, friction burns, broken ribs and other fractures, spinal cord damage and traumatic brain injury.
Types of Damages After an Houston Bike Accident
Tate Law Offices, P.C., will carefully prepare your case and seek a maximum financial recovery for your damages, including:
- Past and future medical expenses
- Lost income and decreased future earning capacity
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of consortium and loss of services
- Emotional distress
- Physical impairment
We will turn to all available insurance coverage, including the at-fault driver’s liability insurance as well as coverage you may have purchased. For instance, if you were injured by a hit-and-run driver, your losses may be covered through your uninsured motorist (UM) coverage.
Under Texas law, you may be denied a recovery if you are found to be greater than 50 percent at fault for the accident. Otherwise, your recovery can be reduced in proportion to your degree of fault.
Tate Law Offices, P.C., will vigorously challenge any insurance company attempts to place undue blame for your bicycle accident on you.
Contact Our Houston Bicycle Accident Attorneys at Tate Law Offices, P.C.
If you have been injured or lost a loved one in a Houston bicycle accident caused by another person’s negligence, get help today from a Houston bicycle accident lawyer at Tate Law Offices, P.C.
We can resolve many bicycle accident cases without the need to take a case to trial or even file a lawsuit. However, if your case goes to court, you can count on our skilled trial lawyers to fight for a top-dollar result for you. Our goal will always be to seek the maximum amount.
You can also count on Tate Law Offices, P.C., to keep you updated throughout your case and to always be available to answer your questions.
To get started with a free consultation, call or connect with us online today. Serving Houston, Fort Worth, and Dallas.
Sources / More Information:
- Texas Motor Vehicle Crash Statistics, Texas Department of Transportation
- Pedestrians and Bicyclists, Insurance Institute for Highway Safety
- Bicycle-Related Injuries, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention