In one recent year, over 34,000 people died in auto accidents in the United States.
In the same year, over 7 million auto accidents took place.
One person dies from a fatal car accident every 14 minutes.
Most Common Car Accident Causes
Negligent or risky driving
Positive Effects of New Auto Technology
- Decreased traffic congestion: Autonomous cars could prevent many traffic jam patterns.
- Decreased pollution: With cars not stuck in traffic as long, smog and exhaust pollution could lessen.
- Fewer car crashes: Common causes of car crashes are not easily replicable with programmed, autonomous driving.
- Increased commute comfort: With drivers taking a metaphorical backseat, commute time could shift focus to driver comfort and entertainment.
negative Effects of New Auto Technology
- A prominent fatality in Arizona took place as a result of an Uber self-driving car, signaling the technology still poses safety issues.
- Cybersecurity concerns after Chinese hackers used security flaws to trick an auto-pilot Tesla into opposite direction of traffic.
- Driving aides could make motorists more dependent and less engaged in driving, which could pose a hazard when human intervention is necessary.
- Hundreds of thousands of people who drive for a living face unemployment.
- Autonomous vehicles could increase traffic if more commuters shift from public transit to self-driving taxis or rideshare vehicles.
- Ethical questions remain about how a self-driving car should “choose” between protecting its occupants versus others on the road.