What to Do Immediately After a Dallas Car Accident
In the aftermath of a Dallas car, truck, or motorcycle accident, it is often difficult to think clearly. Car accident victims suffering from injury or emotional shock may be unable to focus on practical issues, such as building a strong case for insurance claims and injury compensation. However, your immediate actions after a car accident can significantly affect the outcome and the money you may receive.
One of the most important steps to take after an auto, truck, or motorcycle accident in Dallas is to contact an experienced auto accident attorney. Insurance companies typically offer higher settlements to accident victims with a lawyer; however, not all attorneys have the experience necessary to represent clients in a Dallas car wreck.
The Dallas car accident lawyers at Tate Law Offices, P.C., are dedicated to helping you obtain the maximum compensation for your injuries and accident-related losses. We understand the trauma suffered by Dallas car accident victims and will protect your best interests in an insurance claim or lawsuit. Contact us today for a free case review.
6 Important Actions to Take After A Dallas Car Accident
You must be prepared in the event that an accident happens to you. If you are involved in a car accident, here is an overview of what to do after you get in a car accident:
1. Pull Over And Check To Make Sure Everyone In The Vehicle Is Ok.
Pull your vehicle over to a safe location of the road and check everyone in your car. If anyone is injured, you need to call 911 and be able to report the injuries in a calm manner. The operator will need to know your location. So, be prepared to provide a street name or other helpful information. The operator will likely ask you questions about the injury and may provide you with instructions.
2. Report The Accident To The Texas Police.
Failing to report an accident that results in injury or death is illegal. Under Texas law, an operator of motor vehicle who is involved in a car accident that results in injuries or death is required to immediately:
- Stop the vehicle at the scene of the accident.
- Determine whether a person involved in the accident requires aid.
- Give notice of the accident to the local police department or sheriff’s office.
You must remain at the scene of the accident until the duty to give information and render aid is satisfied.
When the police arrive and you file a report, provide complete and accurate information. You can request a copy of the police report at a later date. According to the Texas Department of Transportation, you can obtain a copy of your car accident report by using the Crash Report Online Purchase system.
3. Gather Information About The Other Driver And Accident Scene.
While you are waiting for the police to arrive, take the opportunity to gather information about the other driver. This includes the other driver’s name, contact information, insurance policy number, vehicle registration number, vehicle make and model and driver’s license number.
You should also gather as much data as you can about other details of the accident scene. Take pictures, talk to witnesses and get their contact information. You should also take notes about what happened. The more documentation you have regarding your crash, the better.
In many cases, it is not possible to gather evidence immediately after a car accident happens – especially when your injuries are severe and require you to seek medical care immediately. If this is the case for you, do not worry – your car accident attorney can visit the accident scene at a later date and gather evidence on your behalf.
Also, accident reconstruction experts may be called upon to shed light on how the accident occurred and who was at fault.
4. Seek Medical Care.
If you are seriously injured, skip the steps above and seek medical care immediately. A serious injury is one that prevents you from moving or is dangerous enough to result in permanent impairment or death if immediate treatment is not received.
If you are not seriously injured, still complete the steps above, if possible. As soon as you are able, seek medical care for your injuries.
Keep thorough documentation of your injuries and all of your doctor’s visits. At a later point, your attorney can help you to organize this documentation and use it as valuable evidence when proving damages that you have sustained.
5. Notify Your Insurance Company.
Regardless of fault, you should notify your own insurance company about the car accident as soon as possible. If you were at fault for the accident and carry certain insurance types, like Personal Injury Protection (PIP) coverage, then you can recover compensation from your own insurance company. If you were not at fault for the accident, your policy may still require you to report the accident.
6. Hire An Experienced Texas Car Accident Lawyer.
Hiring an experienced car accident lawyer after you have been in a crash is an important decision. Even if you think that you do not need an attorney, and your insurance company will be on your side, hiring an attorney is almost always within your best interest.
How Tate Law Offices, P.C., Can Help With Your Insurance Claim Or Lawsuit
We understand the overwhelming issues faced by auto accident victims including pain from bodily injuries, expensive medical treatment, car insurance claim hassles, and the inconvenience of being without a vehicle. Our skilled and compassionate Dallas auto accident attorneys can alleviate much of your stress after a car, truck, or motorcycle accident in Dallas, Fort Worth, or elsewhere in the State of Texas. Our professional legal team will:
- Provide medical referrals for injury treatment and obtain necessary medical records for insurance claims
- Handle all contact and negotiations with the insurance companies
- Review and process all insurance claim paperwork
- Obtain vital evidence to build a strong case, including witness reports and photographs of the accident
- Assist you in getting your vehicle repaired or replaced
- Protect your legal rights while aggressively pursuing maximum settlement for your injuries and losses
- File a lawsuit and try your case in court if necessary
Contact Tate Law Offices, P.C., Today
Tate Law Offices, P.C., has successfully handled thousands of car, motorcycle, and truck accident cases in Dallas, Fort Worth, Houston, and throughout the State of Texas. Our knowledgeable car accident attorneys can help you.
Tate Law Offices, P.C., will provide a NO COST evaluation of your case. In addition, we handle accident cases on a contingency basis – this means you will have no upfront legal costs or fees. We are only paid if we collect a settlement for you. Call us at 888-769-1089 today to discuss your case with one of our expert Dallas car accident lawyers.
Not Ready to Chat? Use these Resources:
- Car Accident Lawyer in Dallas, Houston, and Ft. Worth
- Maximize Your Case Value In Your Texas Injury Claim
- How to Deal with Insurance Companies After a Ft. Worth Car Accident
- Should You See a Doctor After A Texas Car Accident?
- How Do You Get a Rental Car After a Car Accident?
- What are Common Car Accident Injuries?
- Get a Free Case Review in Dallas, Houston, or Ft. Worth
- Insights to Understanding Car Insurance in Texas
- Picking the Right Texas Car Accident Attorney
- Texas Car Accident Legal Resources